Xherdan Shaqiri Addresses Game Time Concerns After Slow Introduction at Liverpool

Liverpool summer signing Xherdan Shaqiri is staying calm over his playing prospects, despite not starting a game yet for his new club.

The Swiss attacker joined the Reds this summer in a deal reported to be worth around 13m, following his former club Stoke’s relegation from the Premier League.

While most expect the former Bayern Munich star to be used often from the bench to address a previously held concern over Liverpool’s lack of depth, the 26-year-old has played just 26 minutes in four Premier League games so far this campaign.

Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/GettyImages

An impressive showing for Switzerland during the international break has only made some Liverpool fans more anxious to see more of their new signing in a different shade of Red. However the man himself is staying ‘relaxed’ over his prospects of more pitch time.

“I am very relaxed because we have a lot of games and every player is going to have enough games to play I think,” Shaqiri said, via the Metro.

“I knew the coach before. This football I knew before, so it was not a surprise for me. 

“Of course, it’s a big change from Stoke to Liverpool. Liverpool is a big, big team. But I know how to be in a big team because I played at Bayern Munich and I played at Inter Milan. So for me, I knew what it would be like.”

Shaqiri, who scored eight Premier League goals last season, also spoke of fostering a winning mentality at Anfield, referencing his old club Bayern as an example to follow

He continued: “I think we are going to have a lot of top games. Good games over the next few weeks and of course I am looking forward to them. We want to keep our performances the way they have been. 

“Liverpool are one of the biggest teams in the world. Last year they had a very good year. Sadly they didn’t win a title but now we try to make a step forward and try to win titles. That’s the most important thing now, to be our goals. To win titles.”

Red Sox Manager Alex Cora Calls President Donald Trump Comments on Puerto Rico ‘Disrespectful’

President Trump tweeted Thursday morning about how Hurricane Maria’s death toll had been exaggerated.

Red Sox manager Alex Cora addressed President Donald Trump’s comments on Thursday after the President tweeted he doubted the death toll in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria hit last year. 

The island formally raised the death toll from Hurricane Maria to an estimated 2,975 from 64 following a study by researchers at The George Washington University. Trump didn’t think it was accurate.

Cora, who is Puerto Rican, called the comments “disrespectful.”

“To be tweeting about 3,000 people and being efficient, it’s actually disrespectful for my country,” Cora said. “We see it that way. I know he probably doesn’t feel that way. And like I said, hey man, thank you for helping us. He went down there, he did what he did. I hate talking about politics and all that, but I think this is more than politics.” 

Trump tweeted Thursday morning about how the death toll had been exaggerated.

Cora said that while Trump is president and respects him, he doesn’t agree with “a lot of stuff that he says about us.” He added that it shouldn’t be a political issue.

“You know, 3,000, six, 18. I don’t know. We will never know how many, how many we lost. I hate that people that make it a political issue. This is about human beings. The people that went through this, they know what happened.”

Colgate Coach Gives Up Rooms, Donates Scheduled Team Meals to Hurricane Florence Evacuees

Colgate’s coach Dan Hunt decided to help evacuees fleeing from Hurricane Florence after Saturday’s game was cancelled.

Hurricane Florence prompted Furman University to cancel its football game against Colgate on Saturday.

After the decision was made to cancel, Colgate coach Dan Hunt released the team’s hotel rooms and decided to donate the scheduled team meals to Hurricane Florence evacuees.

“We immediately gave up our hotel rooms so that rooms are now available for those coming inland,” Hunt said in a statement. “We still bought the meals we were going to have and requested that the hotel serve those meals to the people who have been relocated, on us.”

The game will not be made up. The teams were scheduled to play at 1 p.m. at Paladin Stadium.

“It’s obviously a disappointment that we are not playing but at the end of the day, there are decisions bigger than football that need to be made for the safety of a lot of people,” Hunt said. “This is 100 percent the right decision.”

Colgate will return to action on Sept. 22 against Lafayette.

You can keep up with all the other games Hurricane Florence is impacting here.

Report Claims Man Utd Missed Chance to Sign Chelsea Starlet Ethan Ampadu Despite SAF Recommendation

Legendary former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was keen on signing Wales wonderkid Ethan Ampadu, but during the turbulent years at the club after his retirement, the Welshman slipped through the net and joined Chelsea.

17-year-old Ampadu is yet to feature for Chelsea in the Premier League this season, but has starred for his country during the recent international break. His eye-catching performances for Wales – most notably in the win over Ireland – have got some fans crying out for the youngster to be given a chance under new boss Maurizio Sarri.

Craig Mercer/MB Media/GettyImages

However, according to the Manchester Evening News, it was Ferguson who first spotted Ampadu’s potential, reportedly describing the then 12-year-old as ‘a proper United player’.

It’s understood that Ferguson spotted Ampadu when Exeter’s U-13s side travelled to United in 2013, and immediately ‘lobbied’ David Gill to agree a deal for the midfielder.

However, Ampadu’s chance at a potential United career was all but eliminated that summer, with Ferguson stepping down, and the combination of Ed Woodward and new manager David Moyes failing to make a move for the Welshman.

BEN STANSALL/GettyImages

Former Exeter’s academy coach Simon Hayward confirmed earlier this year that Ampadu was part of a group that went on trial at United.

He is quoted as saying: “In that visit to Manchester United there was a game going on with his age group, there were trialists from all over Europe.

“Ethan played as a central defender, a central midfielder and a centre forward at different times in the game and, in my opinion, he was the best player on the pitch no matter what position he played in.”

United’s loss was Chelsea’s gain however, with Ampadu joining the Blues in 2017, making his debut in the Premier League last season as a substitute against Huddersfield.

It seems United were not the only ones to miss an opportunity with Ampadu, with former Exeter boss Paul Tisdale claiming that England rejected the youngster from selection at youth level, before he was called up by Wales.

Weekly Tip Sheet: The Complete Printable Betting Guide to NFL Week 2 Games

Need the best preparation available to help you analyze every NFL game this week? SI has you covered with the betting guide that winners use.

After an exciting first week of the NFL got our adrenaline pumping, Sports Illustrated has you covered with our Tip Sheet to help you prepare for this week’s games. The comprehensive, printable PDF guide gives you everything you need to know about Week 2 in the NFL, highlighting Best Bets and giving you analytical looks at each week’s matchups. 

Get informed with our weekly Tip Sheet before placing your bets.

For best viewing results (desktop): Click ‘Open’ above in the bottom right corner, download the PDF and print out the complete guide.

Unai Emery Dismisses Ozil Rift Rumours & Claims Star’s Retirement From Germany Will Benefit Arsenal

Arsenal boss Unai Emery has claimed that Mesut Ozil’s decision to withdraw himself from availability for international selection will benefit the Gunners this season, while dismissing reports of any rift between the pair.

The German called it quits internationally following Germanys shock World Cup exit earlier this summer, citing racism and abuse as his part of the reason for his retirement. And new boss Emery has said that, with the player now solely focused on his Arsenal career, the team will reap the rewards.

Shaun Botterill/GettyImages

“First the players have the habits to play in the international break, in important matches, defending their identity and when one player is finishing that, I think it is also good for them to focus only on their team,” Emery told the Gunners’ official website.

“The reason for Mesut is important for me also, this focus every day with us, a relaxing three days off at the weekend. Mesut, like other players, works very well here and also working the ties and also together to improve things. Mesut, I look at him with the focus totally here.”

Asked how the player felt having stayed back for the first international break since his retirement announcement, Emery noted that Ozil looked happy and was working very well.

James Baylis – AMA/GettyImages

The first time, maybe, he could feel different but every day with us in the work,” he explained. “I look at him and he looks well and happy, working with our demands every day.”

In response to a question regarding his relationship with the former Germany international, Emery replied: “[We get on] very well. 

“Here for me it isn’t for a lot of the time speaking about what people are telling us. I have a very good relationship with Mesut and professionally I push him for improvements to give us the best in his qualities and performances. 

“Also I read this week in the newspapers in the match against Manchester City I say to the [groundsman], ‘Don’t put water on the pitch’ – it’s not true! 

“This is the moment to say to you that I have a good relationship with Mesut and I didn’t say it to the groundsman not to water on the pitch, it’s not true. We are continuing our process with our positive things and our work.”

No Class: Cardiff Boss Neil Warnock Criticises Chelsea Over Failed Move for Tammy Abraham

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has criticised Chelsea for failing to show ‘class’ after a deal for Tammy Abraham fell through this summer.

Warnock had been keen on signing the 20-year-old but the Blues apparently did not return the Cardiff manager’s phone calls, with the striker eventually moving to Aston Villa. The veteran manager has now criticised Chelsea after he held off on other deals in order to sign Abraham.

Speaking to Standard Sport, Warnock said: “I wanted Tammy Abraham from day one. 

“I spoke to Eddie Newton (Chelsea’s loan player technical coach) about it, but he ended up at Aston Villa. I was really disappointed they didn’t even come back to me. I thought I at least deserved a phone call saying ‘sorry Neil, he’s not joining’. 

The Englishman continued: “it might have been because our deadline was three weeks before the Championship’s. Perhaps they weren’t sure at the time and then he ends up leaving at the end of the month, when only a move to a Championship club is possible. But even then, a phone call would have been better and shown a bit of class.

Abraham enjoyed great success in the Championship with Bristol City during the 2016/17 season, scoring 26 goals, but struggled in the Premier League with Swansea City. The youngster managed only eight goals at the Liberty stadium and the Swans were subsequently relegated.

Despite his poor season last year, Warnock was adamant that playing at a higher level would be better for Abraham’s development. 

The Yorkshire-man said: “Tammy would have been my main man in the Premier League – surely that would have been better for him? I don’t understand it. Surely they would want him playing in the Premier League?

“I don’t think it was a question over the size of the loan fee – we would have paid it. I just the felt the way we played, he would have enjoyed it and had an impact. I missed out on a few players waiting for him too, which disappointed me. But that’s life.”

Hurricanes’ Victor Rask Out Indefinitely After Hand Surgery Following Kitchen Accident

Rask required surgery after slicing two fingers in a kitchen accident.

Carolina Hurricanes center Victor Rask is out indefinitely after undergoing hand surgery for an injury sustained in a kitchen accident, the team announced Thursday at the start of training camp.

Rask, 25, underwent surgery on his fourth and fifth fingers after injuring his hand while slicing food in his kitchen.

The Swedish center had 14 goals and 17 assists in 71 games for the Hurricanes last season.

Carolina selected Rask with the 42nd overall pick in the 2011 NHL Draft. He has 62 goals and 95 assists in 313 career NHL games.

Watch: David Wright’s Tearful Press Conference Announcing Possible Final Mets Series

The Mets will activate David Wright to play in its final homestand of 2018.

David Wright will be activated for the Mets’ final homestand starting Sept. 25 and will suit up to play third base on Sept. 29. During a press conference on Thursday, Wright announced that it will likely be the last series of his career.

Wright said that he addressed his teammates before coming out for the press conference and joked that he hoped he was done crying.

“To my teammates, coaches and staff, it’s truly been an honor of a lifetime to take the field with you and serve as your captain,” Wright said. “Some of my closest friendships have formed in that clubhouse, and we’ll certainly be friends for life.

“To the fans, words can’t express the gratitude and appreciation for always having my back. You’ve accepted me as one of your own and that right there is a tremendous honor.”

Wright, 35, later choked up while thanking his family and friends for their support.

The seven-time All-Star last played for the Mets in May 2016 due to a series of neck and back injuries.

In 13 seasons with the Mets, Wright is a career .296 hitter with 242 home runs and 970 RBI.